I normally go every Thursday, but today I decided to volunteer on a Friday in order to help set up for the Halloween carnival. I walked into the gym to be greeted by a few other volunteers I knew and a cranky staff member in a rush. The other volunteers were putting up spiderwebs when the staff member walked up to me and asked if I could put dum dums into a small pumpkin.
I took a seat on the floor next to my fellow volunteers and began trying to poke the small lollipops into the pumpkin. It proved to be harder then it seemed because the lollipop sticks kept breaking. I eventually figured out a way to keep them from breaking while I kept the broken ones for myself.
We then worked together to put up streamers and set up booths, all the while I became increasingly more excited.
I remember loving school carnivals as a kid, and this was exactly like all the ones I had been to. It was very strange to work behind the scenes in creating the magic. There was also a haunted house, and I was brought back to days of spaghetti brains and grape eyeballs.
I had forgotten how much I missed all of this fun Halloween stuff. After I hit High School, the thought of Halloween brought the stress of choosing a cute costume and decided which party would be the coolest place to be seen. It was nice to be brought back to simpler days, where all you had to worry about was who you wanted to pretend to be and how much candy you got. I loved every minute of it, and had just as much fun watching the kids get so excited.
No comments:
Post a Comment