Monday, November 8, 2010

Boys and Girls Club October 21st

I went to the Boys and Girls Club in a rather light hearted mood. I was much more talkative at snack, and joked around with the kids. At assembly I heard them say they were holding scatterball in the gym. Feeling rather energetic I decided to do that.
It was fun for a little while, but because I was not a regular staff member, or a big guy kids would feel good pegging, I didn't do much. I ran around and hung out with a group of younger kids that were playing. That ended shortly and I decided to take some time to hang out in the games room.
I always feel so loved in the game room, because there is always a kid begging you to play some game with them. I ended up playing mancala with the sweetest little girl. I started to talk to her about her day, and after some conversation she began to tell me about her dad. He had recently been sent to prion for drug abuse, and I found it interesting how open this small child was about such a difficult subject. I can only assume that she doesn't fully understand the severity of what is going on around her, so it doesn't effect her quite so much. Nonetheless my heart went out to this girl and I enjoyed playing mancala with her.
I finished more games and had some nice dinner conversations before finally going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment